A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Last night I was helping a family in my neighborhood. Some of the family speak only Spanish. Some speak English and Spanish. And some speak Spanglish! And one of the kids kept saying "Konichiwa" (Hello) in Japanese...to which I added a few Japanese words I knew...ohio, ichi, ni, san-Good morning, one, two, three (Thank You Mr. Big Bird Goes to Japan!)...which made things really confusing!Now, I know a little Spanish...un poco. I mean I DID take Spanish in 7th Grade with Senor Tigre after all! I don't know enough to construct a decent sentence (except for "Donde esta el bano?*"...which, really...is a very important sentence to know!) but I know my numbers and enough nouns to point and grunt like a gorilla.
I was "talking" with Abuela (grandma) and could pick up some words here and there...lattes-cans, manzana-apple, fideos-noodles (Thank You Cafe Rio for that one!) Then we got around to butter-mantequilla.
Now the default setting in my brain goes immediately to the movie/television line or pun that my mental computer attaches to words and phrases. So what popped into my head? Why, my favorite line "en espanol" from Veggie Tales of course..."Mantequilla en el chango pelon"**. Usually it would just come spilling out of my mouth, but I knew if that happened that I would get the look of "loco" from Abuela! So I made no comments about butter.
But, hey...if I'm ever in, say Guatemala or Argentina, I'm totally prepared to converse with follicly challenged primates! You never know...it could happen!
*Where is the bathroom?
**butter on a bald monkey
No comments:
Post a Comment