No...the title does not refer to some character or spell from the Harry Potter books.
Let me explain...
I know it's May...but it is NOT spring at my house! The weather has been very April-ish...with rain and drizzle and rain and snow showers and gray clouds and just all around gloom. Which all makes for a gloomy Ma...one who doesn't want to take pictures for the blog and couldn't possibly come up with any kind of witty insight to post. Now, granted...there are lots of green growing things in my yard that I could train my camera on but I have no desire to kneel and lay in puddles to get those shots.So I fall back on my blogging crutch-when all else fails...throw in a recipe!
So here ya go...this little gem is Broccoli Salad
Yup...that's it- broccoli, bacon, cheese and red onion. The recipe calls for 3 stalks of broccoli, but Mr. Groceryman was a little skimpy with the stalks this week...I had one good sized stalk and three widdy biddy ones. So I used them all. Chop them up "fine" but still a little chunky. But you don't want big gobbets of broccoli in this salad. These are still a little gobbety (great word!)...so excuse me while I do some more chopping.
OK...I'm back.
Mix the chopped broccoli, the chopped (cook it first) bacon (don't you think God invented pigs just for bacon? Love it!) the grated cheese and the chopped red onion. The recipe calls for 1/2 cup of onion but these things can have quite the kick so I usually use what my heartburn can stand...here it's a little less than a 1/3 cup.
Then you mix the dressing...mayo, sugar and vinegar. Easy!
Mix it all together, cover it (or everything in the fridge will taste like broccoli and onion!) and chill it for 1-2 hours. This is the kind of salad that wilts a little bit, so be sure you make enough!
Serve this crunchy green goodness with a crusty roll...and maybe a couple of breath mints if you're going someplace other than the couch for the evening!
BROCCOLI SALAD
3 broccoli stalks, chopped
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 lb. bacon, cook it and crumble it
1/2 cup (or whatever you want) chopped up purple onion
(is it purple or red? guess it depends on your mood!)
Mix together.
Dressing
1/2 cup mayo (or mayonnaise for you non-short-handers)
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. vinegar (plain 'ol white)
Mix together and stir into salad.
Cover and chill in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
1 comment:
yum!
Post a Comment