Happy Mother's Day to you out there!
Being a Mother...or a parent for that fact...is fraught with emotional complications. We rely completely on our parents for safety, food, shelter, love - any of our needs- as young children...and then blame them for being smothering and controlling when we approach adulthood. As a mom, we try to attend to our children's needs then have the door slammed shut on us when they turn 2 (or 14!) and say "Me do it!" Yes, there are many times when you're a Mom that you feel you just can't win!Now, lest you think this is a blog entry about the perils and blessings of Motherhood...think again! No...I'm just saying it ain't easy! No, this entry is to honor the Other Mothers in our lives... those women who have influenced us without the genetic complexities of Parenthood.
A few examples from The Life of Ma:
Faye-Growing up, Faye was a friend of my mother. A fun, gregarious school teacher who never married or had children but, and I admit this blushingly, she adored me! She thought I was the best thing to come around since sliced bread! (I'm sure my mother felt the same way but it was mixed in there with "Clean your room" and "Do the dishes") Faye SHARED with me...her smile, her laughter, her joy. Thanks!
Aunt Reta-Oh, I think Aunts are the greatest thing in the world! I LOVE being an Aunt...in fact, I think I'm a much better Aunt than a mother! My Aunt Reta was scary and intimidating when I was younger (my nephew will get a kick out of this since he says the same thing about me!) but she was funny and hilarious when I got a little older. She could tell me "like it is"...and I wouldn't get all "mother-crazy" about it. Of course, I was her little brother's little girl, so once again...I could do no wrong. Aunt Reta was one of those aunts that you just liked to go visit...not as a chore or family duty...but because she made you laugh.
Mrs. Barker - my 5th grade teacher. She was so sophisticated and classy! She seemed to be somewhat aloof but there was no question that she was serious about making sure that we 11 year olds learned! She didn't teach in a cutesy, entertaining way, she was not "our buddy"...she was there to teach us! And because she was dedicated...she's always the very first teacher that comes to mind when I think of influence!
The Marthas - This is the group of adult friends that I have...the ladies I go four-wheeling with. The ones who have tea parties and make paper flowers and go out for ice cream. When we get together we always talk...it's cathartic...something women NEED to do! And through the years they've taught me two things: 1)how important it is for women (of all ages) to have friends and 2) we ALL have trials and burdens that are unknown to others...and those burdens all become lighter as we share with those who care.
Think about the Other Mothers in your life...how many women have had an effect on your life that don't have the same mitochondrial DNA as you? Take a minute and thank 'em!
No comments:
Post a Comment