Saturday, August 03, 2013

Cron-azy!

Being a HUGE lover of croissants, I was ready to jump on a plane and head to NYC when I heard about the Cronut Craze (really? you don't know about this? check here)
A daring hybrid between a donut and a croissant...sounding waaay better than some other hybrids like puggles and Priuses!
Well, our local grocer jumped on the bandwagon and came up with a clone..the "Doissant" (yes, it's a stupid name but at least they didn't do Kronut with a "K"!)
They started selling them this morning (Saturdays only!) at 8 a.m. and I was there at 8:15!
 They are a little pricey...$3.99 for two. A real, genuine Cronut is $5...EACH! So all in all, a bargain!
 The "Doissant" (oh please do something about that name!) isn't as tall and flaky as the Cronut looks. But doesn't the crystally sugar make it look mouth-watering?
I was surprised about the cream filling. I expected a little and there was a lot. They need to tone that down a bit. It detracts from the flakiness of the croissant-y pastry.
They are nice for a special treat but I don't think I will be a regular, Saturday 8 a.m. purchaser!
I bought four. I've eaten one already. They need to be eaten before tomorrow (short shelf life!) Somehow I think I'll manage!

No comments: