May I beg your pardon beforehand...
I'm going to unload on all you Gentle Readers this morning.
I just have a few Pet Peeves I need to vent about.
#1- Lately it seems that people...and it appears that it's mostly people on the street being interviewed by the news media after some crime or event...anyway, it seems that people are forgetting how to use the proper verb tense. Oh, I know you've all heard this one! [lady on the sidewalk in a t-shirt, hair in an unkempt pony tail, with a microphone from the unseen TV reporter shoved in her face] "Yeah...and we WAS walking down the street when Godzilla just stomped on my dog!" It's WERE people...we WERE walking down the street when the big radiated lizard squished Spike. Stop the dumbing down of America...use proper grammar! As Lionel Twain says, in Murder By Death (a very funny film!)..."Say your 'gosh-darn' pronouns!"
#2- This one is a matter of taste because both versions are correct, but it makes my spine tingle when someone calls the Land of Lincoln state "Ill-uh-noise". I'm an "Ill-uh-noi" kinda gal.
#3- There's a reason that electronic turn signals were invented. (does anyone use arm signals any more?...nope, didn't think so!) It was mainly to keep everyone from crashing into everyone else! I, frankly, would not want to be blind-sided by a 1938 Buick (the first car with electronic turn signals) running willy-nilly all over the road. The little stick on the steering wheel helps other people to know, instead of guess!, where you and your 3000 pound car are headed. Next time you want to turn or change lanes, just remember...Bumper Cars DON'T have turn signals...Civics DO!
*sigh*
Thanks for letting me get those pets off my chest...I feel much better now!
No comments:
Post a Comment