Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Chicken No-Peeky

OK...I LOVE coming up with inventive and humorous names for recipes.
This one describes it to a "T"
If you're looking for something to fix for Sunday dinner or Cub Scout night or just when you want some yummy in your tummy...
may I suggest Chicken No-Peeky!
 Here are the stars...actually the ONLY players in this recipe! The only thing missing is a 13x9 pan and some aluminum foil! Oh...and your oven!
Daub four tablespoons of butter in a 13x9 pan.  Mix together the two cans of soup (one cream of mushroom, the other cream of chicken...and may I make an editorial comment here - whoever decided to put the flip-top tops on cans of cream soup...PLEASE STOP! No matter how much I scrape and spoon, I cannot get all the bits of creamy-sauce-making-stuff out of the can! Go back to can-opener lids please! Then all the contents can come out in one giant cylinder of cream soup!...now, back to your regularly scheduled program...) Mix the soups, the rice and the milk (yes, the measurement is "a can plus a little more"! Deal with it!) and pour it over the butter in the pan.
 Lay the chicken on top. You can use tenders or breasts or whatever. I cut the chicken breasts I had in half because they were Ginormous! DON'T sink the chicken into the soup mix...just lay it on top. Then sprinkle one package of onion soup mix over everything...which, by the way, is NEVER used to make onion soup! Go figure! Cover with foil and slip into a 275 degree oven (or 280 or 295 if you don't trust 275...but NOT 300!) Then don't peek! Go to church or the soccer game and come back three hours later to dinner.
No need for a knife because the chicken falls apart...but the best part is the rice...creamy and crunchy! And I hardly had to lift a finger!

CHICKEN NO-PEEKY
4 Tablespoons butter
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 cups uncooked rice
1 soup can (plus a little more...up to 1 1/2 soup cans total!) milk
4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 pkg, dry onion soup mix
Drop pats of butter into a 13x9 pan. Mix together the soups, rice and milk. Pour into pan. Place chicken breasts on top of rice. Sprinkle onion soup mix over entire dish. Cover tightly with foil and bake in a 275 degree oven for three hours without removing foil. DON'T PEEK!

No comments: