Friday, April 13, 2012

Perspective


It all depends on how you look at it...
"Relativity" by M C Escher
Perspective, in life as well as in art, is in the eye of the beholder.
    What is one person's onus may not even cause a blip on someone elses emotional radar (for example: ONUS- "Whitney Houston's death was the greatest tragedy of my life!! I don't know how I can go on!!" BLIP - "Whitney who? She was still around?!")
    Granted, we live in an age of hyperbole, where everything is "historic" and "ground-breaking"...at least until the next news cycle comes around! But this use of perspective can also help put things in my own little life in their proper setting.
    Example A: Granddaughter #1 is due to make her appearance this summer...in a state far, far away! Which makes me sad because Grandsons #1, #2 and #3 all live minutes away from me, and I love being part of their lives every week. So I've been doing my fair share of moaning and feeling sorry for myself because I probably won't get to see this grandchild more than a couple of times a year! It's a TRAGEDY I tell ya! And then I think of my ancestors, who crossed the ocean blue and never...yes, NEVER!...saw their families again! Travel was too time-consuming and expensive back then...where as now, well, I can afford an occasional airline ticket to visit a couple of times a year.
    Example B: It has been raining...and raining...and raining, so the corner of the carpet in the basement bedroom is wet again. This causes me major stress because I have to dry it out and figure out how to stop if from leaking in the future...and I basically hate unwanted and unwelcomed water in the house! And then I get a little perspective! The wet spot is only about one foot square (yes...I do tend to blow things out of proportion when it comes to leaks in the house!) and it doesn't happen all the time...and hey, I'm not living in a log cabin with a dirt floor which would turn to mud every single time it rained...and snakes and scorpions and such would be part of my interior design.
So, I must remember Mr. Escher's example...what may be my "down" could really be an "up"...it's all a matter of perspective!

No comments: