Friday, June 10, 2011

Phono-Phobic

    It doesn't look all that scary, does it? But, trust me, there's nothing like a little communication device with numbered buttons on it to raise my blood pressure. You see...I'm "phono-phobic". I HATE calling on the phone. There are even times when I hate talking on the phone. I think that part of it has to do with the unknown...Who will answer? What will they say? How am I supposed to react? Who's on the other end of the call and what is going on? Pleasant conversation or Danger? There is nothing more heart-stopping than a telephone call in the middle of the night! At one time, some business's fax number was way too close to our number and we would get phone calls in the middle of the night with nothing but a "beep" on the other end! I think it caused me serious heart damage!
   So I say...Bless Mr. Voicemail! If I have to make a phone call, I love it when there's no answer but a sweet little "Leave a message" and I can say what I need to say, hang up and walk away from the deadly device! And along the same vein...Oh Thank Heaven for Email! I don't have to figure out what time zone Son #1 is in, and if it's too late to call (by Ma's Standard Phone Call Time...DON'T call after 10 p.m. unless you're broken, bleeding or dead...or you've had a baby!) I can just merrily type whatever I want to say and hit "send". Sweet! and for some reason, those numbered buttons on the computer do absolutely nothing to my blood pressure!

4 comments:

Tammy said...

I'm the same way except my fear is one of sounding dumb on the phone. It was good for me to work as a legal secretary because it forced me to face my fear each day. However, now that I've been home with the kids for a few years, I'm back to avoiding answering the phone or calling people.

entirelyAnn said...

I totally agree! It took me until my mission to be able to call people. And even now, I hate calling home phones. Cell phones are much less of a problem for me to call because I know who will be answering and they know who I am - much less awkward. I hate calling!!!

Shannon W. said...

Hi, this is the Willdens from across the world. I hear you on the time zone issue. I accidentally called my parents in the middle of the night...good thing my brother answered!

katie.kourianos said...

aunt shawn -
i relate to this all too well! so glad i'm not the only one out there. :)
katie