Thursday, February 24, 2011

Bookworm

Now that I am closing in on becoming an "artifact" (yes...I read a book on archaeology which said that anything older than 60 years is considered an "artifact"! Whew! At least I've got a few more years before I'm stuffed in a museum case with a little display card!) Where was I? Oh yeah...so one day I was doing the "things I would have done differently" dance and I wished that I had kept a running list of all the books I've read in my life. How cool would that be! The little Bookworm above is from when I was in First Grade and I read all those books!...yes, I was goal-oriented at age 6..."I HAVE to fill in the worm!" (hmmm...it does look almost "artifacty" doesn't it?!...Note that I've photoshopped my name out and put "Ma" in...that's right! I can digitize! I'm not extinct yet!...oh, the things I do for this blog!) So...back to the subject...Books! I'm going to a Book Club this week where we were asked to bring some of our favorite books. Now I have my "book list" on http://www.goodreads.com/ which is fun to keep up (yes...I've even added my favorite childhood books...Dr. Seuss, EB White, etc. and every Clive Cussler book ever written-I've read them all except the ones that aren't released yet) They have book lists to search and you can "link up" with friends to see what they're reading. But it doesn't have EVERY SINGLE BOOK I'VE EVER READ on it. Yes, I have over 300 books on it but I KNOW I've read more than that! So, I'll go to the Book Club with my incomplete life-time list in hand. If NOT having a life-time reading list is my biggest regret in life...then I say I'm doing pretty well for a pre-artifact!
Here are some of my all-time favorite books:
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
(the BEST book and movie made from a book EVER!)
Left to Tell: Discovering God Amidst the Rwandan Holocaust by Immaculee Ilibagiza
(God, faith and hope amid atrocity)
Charlotte's Web by E B White
(that's some pig!)
Safe Journey: An African Adventure by Glenn L Pace and Yearning for the Living God: Reflections from the Life of F. Enzio Busche by F Enzio Busche
(both wonderfully spiritual books)
A Natural History of the Senses by Diane Ackerman
(this lady can make you hear, smell and see through the written word...delightful!)
Adrift: Seventy-six days Lost at Sea by Steven Callahan
(true story that changed his life and he helps us find what is truly important through his story)
The Loner by Ester Wier
(a children's book but one I love because I can smell the oatmeal on the stove and feel the quilt in the sheep wagon)

2 comments:

Erin said...

I've be trying to read more in the last year. I may have to borrow one of your Clive Cussler books to see what all the fuss is about. :)

Erin said...

I've been trying to read more this last year. I may have to borrow one of your Clive Cussler books to see what all the fuss is about. :)