Thursday, January 13, 2011

In Laws and Out Laws

So...you're married or engaged! For only 3..THREE...easy payments (consisting of 20 years each!) you can receive the love of your life. But wait! There's MORE! For no extra cost, you'll also receive not one...not two...but THREE new families! Your new little family, your childhood family PLUS a BONUS In-Law/Out-Law family! All for 3...YES, that's THREE...easy payments...and a lifetime of "familial adventure!"
Daughter #2 has been waxing poetic about her sweetie, Son-in-Law #2 lately (it's for their anniversary!) and she mentioned how much she loves his family. Which got me thinking about In Laws and Out Laws! I've been blessed with some pretty nice In Laws (don't know if my kids spouses can say the same thing!) I find Sweetie's family rather, well, sweet actually. Sometimes In Laws are easier to like. I don't have the childhood angst involved that he does. You know...the "he's touching me" from the back seat of the car or the "she got the toy from the cereal box again" tragedy. Nope...I find them rather charming as adults. I know that our In/Out Laws have had numerous occasions to roll their eyes at what we do and how we are. I swear that when our little genetic family starts doing its "thing"...I can hear them say, sotto voce of course, -"freaks!" Yup, like I always say "Everybody's got their own brand of crazy!" So even though each one of my In/Out Laws have had periods of adjustment...adjustment to being married to one of our crazy kids AND to the Ma and Sweetie-In-Laws...they have each added some wonderful "je ne sais quoi" to our family (french for "I don't know what"...seriously! "I don't know what"...as in that special x-factor something that makes a difference) Sons-In-Law #1-4 have all brought humor and help and a dose of testosterone to the family...something that Sons #1 and #2 were glad to get after dealing with 4 sisters! SIL #1 is a social whizz! He can hold a conversation with anyone! Seriously! Perfect for those awkward extended family get-togethers. SIL #2 has an incredibly creative brain...and comes up with ideas of how we could fix this or that! SIL #3 is quiet but is the biggest worker bee around!...plus he's a great Chuck Norris Joke Teller. And SIL #4 loves my cooking (bonus points for him!) has the best smile and gives the best bear hugs ever! And what would we do without Daughter-In-Law #1-AND-ONLY and her earthy laugh and delicious rolls, pies and salads! And Sweetheart #1...who is an honorary In/Out Law (even if she doesn't wanna be...You ARE...too bad...deal with it!) She is exactly that...a sweetheart! She gets a little overly concerned about possibly upsetting someone in the family when, silly girl, we've already made you a blood relative in our hearts! When our kids grew up, we thought our family was getting smaller! Little did we realize that it not only doubled but it got better at the same time! Thanks to those beloved Out Laws!

3 comments:

Erin said...

I sure do love all our family in all it's related and unrelated glory! It really says something when a family as diverse as ours can come together and be one and like you said treat each other like blood relatives. A lot of that is your's and ESF's work. Good job.

Megan D. said...

Amen! :)

Thomas D. said...

I feel the same! I'm certainly blessed to have been adopted into the clan.