Saturday, October 31, 2009

Mouse-atosis

Oh Yes! The mus musculus are back! We've been mouse-less for 4 years but the tiny little intruders have returned once again! The house next door to us has been vacant for four years, so I figure that the little rodents have been living trap-free over there for at least that long! However, the house was flattened a while ago in preparation for a new duplex (I've got great video of it coming down if you want to see it!) and the little varmints have been house-hunting ever since. Our place has always looked nice to them. We've had cheeky mice...one looked out the pantry door at me one day with, and I am not making this up...a smile on his little whiskered face! We've had sneaky mice...they would somehow set the trap off, eat the peanut butter bait and scurry away to leave their droppings in hidden corners of my house. We've even had trippy-hippy mice! I put some mouse poison outside one year (hoping to stop them before they even breached our walls!) and saw a funny little drugged up mouse outside, stumbling around my flower bed. Now, I don't mind mice...I don't jump on a chair and scream when I see them. I actually think they are very cute looking animals...as long as they are not eating holes in my pasta packages and cracker boxes! That being said...I have absolutely no qualms whatsoever about placing hair-trigger traps to break their little necks! Humane traps? Live traps? Oh...puhleeze! Two nights ago I heard the oh-so-familiar rodent scratching in the ceiling above my bed! Yuck! So Sweetie put down some traps last night in the middle of their little mouse highways! This morning he opens up the drawer in our dresser and sees mouse evidence! The little buggers had crawled up the back of our dresser, snuck in one of the drawers and eaten...and even I cannot believe this!...they had eaten a bunch of lozenges!!! They even dragged one down to Sweeties drawer to start eating it but apparently found it too mentholy!... can't you see a little brown mouse hauling a wrapped lozenge around? At least the little pest went out with a clear throat and good breath, because we got him in the trap this morning!! Here's hoping that there's an end to the pitter-pattering of little paws in our house soon...minty breath or not!

No comments: