This has really been a summer from H-E-double hockey sticks!
We started off with no winter...zip, zilch, nada!
There wasn't enough snow on the ground to sink into the soil and keep shrubs, bushes and trees alive.
Then we had precisely 3/4" of rain all.summer.long!
And...it was hot, Hot, HOT! We had some ridiculously record number of days above 95 degrees.
Anyway you look at it...it spells "D-R-O-U-G-H-T!"
My garden has suffered. I wrote about the nasty bugs that destroyed my potato plants HERE
My lawn and shrubs have been various shades of brown/yellow since the first of June!
And then there's my tomatoes...
I LOVE growing grape tomatoes...they more than pay for themselves. And it's always a treat to go out and pick a handful for a delicious snack.
Except this year. Tomatoes are persnickety vegetables/fruits. They won't set fruit if the temperatures are too high...they "abort" their blossoms.
Well, guess what? Our summer-time temps have been way too high to make my plants happy.
So I have way more blossom drop than baby tomatoes!
It makes me really sad that this year, there just hasn't been much of a garden at our house. After all, I've always been "Pro Tomato!"
No comments:
Post a Comment