Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Becoming Ma

    On this date, many, many years ago, in a hospital not so far away, a Ma was born. I bet you didn't know that Mas were born, did you? Well, they are. Little - and Big - girls may practice and practice and practice Ma-ness, but until that first baby makes his/her/their appearance, a Ma doesn't exist.
    I've been thinking about Mas lately. Son #2 and Daughter-In-Law #1-and-only are expecting their first child any day now, whereupon a Ma will be born...(and a Pa, but that subject is out of my realm!) They are in for a thrilling and eye-and-heart opening adventure!
    When I became a Ma all those years ago, I had no idea what was involved. Oh sure, I'd read up on feeding and sleeping and playing and diapering. Heck, I'd even practiced once or twice when I babysat as a teen. But the birth of a Ma is nothing like what you read about or practice.
    When Son #1 was placed in my arms, and he looked at this brand new world with his blue eyes, something shifted in the universe. Suddenly the center funneled down to this little tiny guy who did nothing but sleep and eat and wait for me to change his diapers. (somewhere, right now, in this big wide country, there is a grown man saying "Mo-ther!!") And, suddenly, this brand new Ma would fight tigers and lift school buses to save him. Think about it...how often do you fall madly in love with someone who drools and spits on your shoulder after waking you up, crying, at 2 a.m?
    Mas don't always know what they're doing. Most of the time they are learning how to be a Ma alongside their children who are learning how to be a human. Mas don't know everything - although we may seem like we do. And Mas often feel scared, overwhelmed, tired, hopelessly in love with their kids, proud, tired, unworthy, stretched thin, frustrated, joyous, content and tired...sometimes all in the same day.
    But you know what? I wouldn't change becoming a Ma all those years ago for nothing. With each child, in-law, grandchild that's been added to my Ma-ness, even with frustration, empathic sadness, messiness and inconvenience - becoming Ma has made me who I am today.

No comments: