In case you haven't caught up with it...and you totally missed the post about Roots last month...there is a terrific show on television..."Who Do You Think You Are?" (check it out here Who Do You Think You Are?) I LOVE it and I've even got Daughter #1 hooked on it!
Famous people search their genealogy (with lots of help!) and discover their ancestors. I'm always amazed at how distant some families can be...the current generation folk that have no idea who their great-grandparents were! Growing up in a religion where connections with your progenitors is very important, plus a big 'ol dose of History-Loving DNA!...I always knew who my great and great-great ancestors were.
I remember my great-grandma (that tall drink of water above is her...with her sweet Irish husband!) She passed away when I was a little older than Grandson #2...but I remember playing under her kitchen table and sitting by her player piano in the living room and that she was always wearing a flowery print dress. Apparently you're never too young to make family memories!
Every time we get a new president or some other major official, someone, somewhere, does a quick genealogy search on them and tells us that they are distant cousins of some king or queen or famous person. Mmmm....there are quite a few not-so-nice people in the world today and I kinda figure that there were plenty of dastardly folks in the past...but what's amazing is that NO ONE is ever related to them!! Go figure!
I'm sure I've got my share of rogues and ne'er-do-wells in my past, but mostly, I figure I come from a long line of plain, ordinary people. People who lived and toiled and laughed and cried and didn't leave a big mark in the history books in great libraries. But you know what? Those simple miners and tailors and homemakers and scrimpers and sacrificers left a mark on my life! I've come to know Who I Am because I know Who They Were!
February 5, 2025
1 year ago

1 comment:
Yes, I love this show now thanks to you. But it also finally peaked my interest in my own genealogy. I thought for sure that wouldn't happen until my 60's. :) So, thanks.
Post a Comment