Saturday, February 11, 2012

Roots

The Kiddies have borrowed my good camera, so I haven't been able to take pictures lately. And apparently, if I can't take pictures, I can't think of things to post on this blog! Strange...I know! I was going to post something that I'd written up awhile ago, but while looking for the photo to go with it, I came across this one...
The lady in the stylish hat is one of my far-flung relatives. I love the photo and the torn paper frame and even though it's an aunt pictured here and not a direct-line ancestor, I still feel a connection. A connection to my great-great grandparents who probably held this same photo in their hands!
The new season of "Who Do You Think You Are?" started recently and I love watching it...watching people find out about their family and make a connection. It's always so moving and emotional! There's something to the saying "the ties that bind" when it comes to family...even if those ties go back a hundred years or more!
This year, in our little monthly family newsletter, we are concentrating on "roots"...and I have a saying..."When you know your roots, you know your life." Knowing who we are and where we've come from helps us live up to, or depart from, our past.
To search your roots try this website   https://www.familysearch.org/
To help with the "treasure hunt" you can do indexing here  https://www.familysearch.org/volunteer/indexing 
It's alot of fun!

No comments: