I enjoy celebrating Mardi Gras..."Fat Tuesday". I can't quite get on board with the whole "sin today, so we can give it up for Lent tomorrow" thing. But I sure do enjoy celebrating in a culinary manner! And, oh, the delicious ways to "sin" in a Cajan way! Beignets...hush puppies...andouille sausage...catfish...spicy remoulade...pecans...even gator!
I'm not a gumbo fan, so I'm making jambalaya tonight...from the box! Love Zatarains! Love their Dirty Rice (mainly because it done got no chicken gizzards in it!)
I went to the bakery this morning to find something King Cake-ish! The baker looked at me with a huge "wuh?" expression. So I had to explain what King Cake* was...which they didn't have...so I substituted. See that chocolatey-creamy-buttery concoction above? I figured if I couldn't get King Cake, we'd eat a cream-puffy "Alligator Jaw" instead! Hey...they got gators in "N'awlins!"
This is what King Cake is supposed to look like.
I suppose I could have made the King Cake...maybe next year. Meanwhile, I think I might try and slip the little plastic baby in the whipped cream!
Laissez le Bon temp rouler! **
*King Cake is a rich sweet-roll type dessert, sprinkled with Mardi Gras colors - green, purple and gold. It's baked with a little plastic baby inside. The person who gets the slice with the baby is the host for next year's party!
** "Let the Good Times Roll!"

1 comment:
I really should do King Cake for the kids next year too. Maybe we can have a Mardi Gras party together. I'm sure it will end up with one of the kids choking on the plastic baby. :)
Post a Comment