Sweetie and I decided to take a "spur of the moment" trip over our long Labor Day weekend. Now, by "spur of the moment" I mean that we came up with the idea at least a week before...giving us enough time to book hotel rooms and rent a car. I know...I know...for all you "carefree" souls out there, it doesn't sound very "spur of the moment" but to me...it was practically "last minute!"
We rented a sweet little Fiat...it's a little smaller than a mini-Cooper. We fit in there nicely and it was fun to drive. Plus...we got looks! We got looks, we got comments, we got questions. Everywhere we went people looked and pointed. In fact, the highlight of the trip was when a National Park Ranger said we looked COOL in our little red car! OH...MY...HEART! I have waited many long years to be COOL!...Of course, she only said we "looked" cool....dang! I was so hoping to be cool!We went through Yellowstone and ate pastries by this beautiful river...
We drove through lots and lots of Big Sky country...where, amazingly...the sky really is BIG!! That's because most of the land is flat with nothing poking up into it!
And we reached our destination...North Dakota! Now you may ask yourself why we wanted to go to North Dakota. I'll tell you why...because we hadn't been there and we needed to add it to our List of 50 States We've Been To. Added Bonus: We got to "boo-yah" Sons #1 and #2 who haven't been there! Hah!
We went to the Badlands at Theodore Roosevelt National Park. Gorgeous! And I LIKE North Dakota! Really! Its got some interesting things to see...and it smells clean! Seriously...we crossed the border and it smells clean! Son #1 said it's because nobody lives there!
The circle back home took us through more Big Sky country and into Cowboy country. We stopped at the Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument. I'm always struck by the lone headstones, in the middle of the plains...so sad! There are a few Native American headstones now that weren't there years ago...and the horse cemetery. A bleak, windy place to die.
We came home via the Bighorn Scenic Byway...oh my! The road twists and hairpins its way up and over the mountain, gaining about 4600 feet in the process! Our little red Fiat had an automatic manual and sport mode, so Sweetie was in Formula 1 heaven! After a quick stop in Farson for some giant ice cream cones, we were home...after over 1800 miles, 5 states and a lot of gorgeous views!...and we "looked cool" the whole time!...
1 comment:
You are right. That car does look cute. :) Glad you guys got away for a bit.
Post a Comment