skip to main |
skip to sidebar
The Lens Wall
There is a peculiar thing about cameras and holding them up to your face and taking pictures. It seems to immediately block you out of the event that you are photographing. And, lest you think me nutso, watch any kind of news broadcast of some disaster and you will notice that the camera-man person, is just standing/squatting/kneeling there...still filming the disaster that is happening in front of the lens! All the while, everyone else is running to assist those in harm's way...or simply get out of harm's way! (I'm thinking now of all the dorky news people who are standing on the beach, in the middle of Hurricane Irene, telling their viewers to evacuate and stay indoors! Come out from behind the "Lens Wall" and get to safety, people!) And it doesn't just happen with news crews...I, the home-body photographer, am guilty of the same thing. It's like you become separated from the event/moment as soon as that lens gets near your eye...almost as if you were in another dimension and simply viewing it.
Ah...that's what it is...you are "viewing" it...instead of "participating" in it! Sweetie calls it "being in the moment"...and that's hard to do when you're constantly trying to "get the right shot".
I'm telling you this because, quite frankly, I've had some rather dull blog entries this summer. It's not that I haven't done stuff...it's just that I've tried this summer to "participate" instead of "view"...to break down that "lens wall" if you will.
So forgive me for not sharing the thrill of summertime barbecues, fireworks, slurpees, homemade pies, trips to the local farmer stands, fun at the splash pad park, more barbecues, a day at the zoo with Grandkids #1 and #2, beautiful sunrises and sunsets, full moons through a telescope, family parties and family reunions, get-togethers and saying-goodbyes to various kidlets, a wet-slippery-squirty birthday party, barbecue contests and county fairs.
Yes...I've "participated" in them all...without the convex glass of the Lens Wall!...and I've enjoyed every minute!
No comments:
Post a Comment