Turn up the sound!
Yes...that's my Summertime playlist! Songs that take me back to summers long ago...Isn't it interesting how a song can click your memory back to a certain time and place?
Whenever I hear "One Eyed One Horned Flying Purple People Eater" or "Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini" (oh why oh why don't they write lyrics like that anymore?!) I'm instantly transported back to my girlfriend's back yard. We're sitting in her sandbox, listening to our transistor radios...the iPod of our day!..Oh, we were COOL!
Of course, you can't have summer without The Beach Boys. Driving down the canyon with friends, harmonizing with "Ba Ba Ba Ba Barbara Ann"...and how cool was it that they wrote a song about my hometown!
There's a down side to musical memory lane...I can't listen "Brandy" by Looking Glass without feeling a twinge of regret...that one's from the summer of my teenage rebellion. Ouch!
The 4th of July wouldn't be complete without breaking into "Born in the USA" which 95% of the population only knows the chorus..."BORN...in the USA...I was...BORN...in the USA....BORN in the USA" ad infinitum!
And who hasn't sung at least one song where they had no idea what the lyrics were except for one or two words..."Louie, Louie" is a perfect example of that. As trying-so-hard-to-be-cool preteens, we all mumbled along until we got to "Louie Louie I gotta go!"
For the most part Summer Songs bring a smile to your face, a longing for toes in the sand, a sweet road trip and an uncontrollable urge to sing "Wimoweh, wimoweh" from The Lion Sleeps Tonight.
1 comment:
Have you seen the movie starring 'The One Eyed One Horned Flying Purple People Eater'? That takes me back to my childhood summer....
Post a Comment