skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Ma the Librarian
God bless whoever "invented" libraries! It was probably Ptolemy (which is an incredibly fun name to try and pronounce..Pit-olemy? Tol-emy? Pito-lemee?) in ancient Alexandria in Egypt...he and his namesakes are credited with inventing practically everything! Or maybe Ben Franklin in America and good old Andrew Carnegie sure did a lot for library lovers. But whoever it was I say...Job Well Done!
And let's not forget Mr. Dewey! Being an uber-nazi-neatnik I can tell that he was one of us! Who else could have come up with the brilliant system to organize, catalog and shelve all those books?! Looking for a cook book? Check the 641 section. Lighthouses? 387 in water, space and air transportation. Section 614 will let you know about forensics and look for Disneyland info under the 917s.
When I was in Junior High (Middle School to some of you!) I worked in the library for two years. It was great! I got to stamp cards (this was back in the old days when there was no such thing as a computer!) organize magazines and shelve books. Oh...my heart races just thinking about putting all those books in order! Even today, when I see the book cart at our local library, I have this almost uncontrollable desire to shelve!
I love going to the library and finding "treasures"...books that you have no idea that you really wanted to read until you hear that tantalizing spine calling you from the shelf! The nearest library to me is really very nice but there is another branch a couple of cities over from me. It's new...well, semi-new...it's been open a few years...and even though it's small, I love going there! You see, I've read most of the books in "my library" (OK...most of the ones I WANT to read!) and they just don't get new books in fast enough...what with budget cuts and all. But the semi-new branch has mostly new books...that I haven't dipped my reading glasses into yet. Oh...be still my bibliophile heart! I went there last week and got 7 books that I immediately gobbled up!
Oh, Happy Happy Joy Joy!...look for that in the 158s!
1 comment:
I never knew you worked in a library.
Post a Comment