Saturday, January 23, 2010

Lessons from my father

Today is my father's birthday...and while it has been several years since he has "shuffled off this mortal coil", there are pieces of him that still resonant in my family's lives. ~OK...I'm stubborn AND a curmudgeon...but it's not my fault! I got it from my dad! He was famously stubborn and as far as the curmudgeon part goes...well, he was a "sweet" curmudgeon! ~He was also a "rut person"...a person of habit! I'm the same way...although I prefer to think of it as "planned and orderly". ~My father was a "chair moving disciple"...he was always the one at church setting up chairs for others and cleaning up afterward, with no fanfare or applause. He was great at giving service "behind the scenes". I thank him for that trait he gave me...the world needs "chair moving" people! ~My dad was a saver! He squirreled money away for the future...for the needs of his family, not for anything he wanted or needed. Because of that, my mother is able to live quite comfortably as a widow. I, too, am a saver...of which I am extremely happy-especially in this economy! Earn $5, spend $4 definitely brings security and peace! ~Hard work was part of his life-a trait which he passed on to his children and grandchildren. I'm proud to say that my children KNOW how to work! And aren't afraid of doing it! ~and while my dad occasionally held a grudge, he loved his family unconditionally! I always knew that he completely, unabashedly, would-walk-through-fire loved me...no matter what stupid things I did!
When I look in the mirror, I see that I have physical traits that remind me of my father. And as I go through my day, I realize the emotional and spiritual characteristics that he's passed on to me too.
Thanks Dad!

1 comment:

Erin said...

It's been nice to think about him hasn't it? I too am thankful for all he did for our family. And I feel so blessed that he met Ethan at 2 months old. During that 3 second encounter, he was Grandpa again. Miss that.