Tuesday, December 01, 2009

It's beginning to look alot like Chris-Frog!

Everyone has strange holiday traditions. Eating turkey when it's definitely a ham holiday! Putting up the tree on Christmas Eve instead the first of December! Going to the movies on Christmas Day! Perhaps not strange to each individual family, but to "outsiders"?! Like I always say...everyone has their own brand of Crazy! I've spent a good part of this morning putting up my Christmas decorations...in every flippin' room of my house...and outside! (why, oh why do I do this??) I'll admit...while I love Christmas - the lights, the smells, the music - I have felt Christmas-resistant lately! In fact, I grumbled all morning long while I hung wreaths, put out my Santa Clauses (all 31 of them!), and put a tree in every room of the house - yes, even the bathrooms! (I'm giving myself a break and won't put the big tree up until tomorrow!) The last tree was a small one in our family room...and finally, I found a yuletide smile! And it came from an felt amphibian! Almost 14 years ago, Son #1 left the US for a 2 year church mission in Germany. Since he was leaving just before Christmas, he left us a "parting gift"...Elder Frog! He took an old Kermit the Frog puppet we had, added a missionary name tag and scriptures, then made him a set of wings and a halo so he looked like a Herald Ang-newt sitting on top of the tree. Of course, we put Kermit up every Christmas that Son #1 was gone...and every Christmas since. Every year holiday visitors look to the top of the tree, eye us out of the corner of their eye and shake their heads in disbelieve...but us?! We just smile and say "Merry Chris-Frog!"
So...what crazy Christmas traditions do you have?

No comments: