OK...so I absolutely LOVE the food blogs that are linked here. And I thought...heck...why don't I give recipe blogging a try? So here's my first contribution...Outrageous Mexican Chicken Salad.Mix together one can (15 1/2 oz) of beans...(pinto, kidney, whatever...but black beans are my favorite! drain 'em and rinse 'em of course) a couple of chopped up tomatoes, some sliced olives (I use one of those little cans) and some chopped up cooked chicken...about 2 cups. (I usually use chicken tenders...around a pound of so. I season them with chili powder and cumin when I cook them...either pan fry 'em or slap 'em in a baking dish, season 'em, cover 'em with foil and bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Easy!...you could probably use ground beef that's been browned with taco seasoning too.)
Add some crushed up tortilla chips...the recipe says "9 oz." but I can never figure ounces, so just grab about five handfuls and crush 'em. Add a head of iceberg lettuce that you've torn up, or some romaine or a bag of salad. Add a handful or two of grated cheddar cheese and mix it all together. See...I'm using my industrial strength Ma's Boarding House bowl. That way I can toss to my heart's delight and it stays in the bowl and not on the counter!
Serve it up and add your favorite salad dressing. Makes enough to feed 4 of us with leftovers for Sweetie's lunch the next day. The joy of this main dish salad is you can expand it when the rest of the kids come over for dinner...unexpectedly. Just add some more lettuce and chips. Throw in another can of beans if you've got 'em. And be prepared to say "mmmm".
How does a little 'ol mama go from growing up on TV dinners to publishing a blog on the internet? In the old days, you'd stand over the backyard fence and talk about the adventures of your life. Now, I'm writing electrons on a screen for everyone to see. Ah well, the adventure of life is still the same. My adventure deals with my sweetheart, our elderly parents, our pack of kids and their spouses and grandchildren. I'm sure it will be a thrilling ride!
3 comments:
That's so funny you posted that. We had it last week. It is delicious! One of my favorites. Love it with Thousand Island.
Looks so good, lets have it at one the family parties for sure!!!
We love this recipe! We eat it with Cafe Rio dressing. Mmmmm.
Post a Comment