Friday, February 20, 2009

Generational Skipping

This is my fridge. This is my fridge two days after grocery shopping. This is normal for my fridge. And no matter how much my nephew has complained about having "nothing to eat" at my house (I have a fully stocked pantry and freezer!) this is the way I like my fridge to look. You see...I am not a leftover hoarder. My mother is a leftover hoarder. This "genetic" trait has obviously, and thankfully, skipped a generation. My mantra is "When in doubt...throw it out." Thus I rarely even have leftovers in my fridge to begin with...usually only dinner leftovers for sweetie's lunch the next day. I figure that the main purpose of plastic food storage containers is to stack up and fall over in the cupboard! My mother, on the other hand, saves every little scrap of food...3 peas?...toss it in Tupperware and throw it in the fridge. Her refrigerator is a good 25 years old and I swear she has stuff in there that she stored the first week she bought it! She usually lets her leftovers sit in the refrigerator until they either 1) turn green and fuzzy and become new life forms and crawl out under their own power or 2) disintegrate into a black gloppy mess...no matter what they started out as. Cheese left in the fridge for the past decade or so?...giant green furball. Lettuce from December?...black gloppy mess. Unknown things in zipper food storage bags?...yup, black gloppy mess. And now, to prove that generational skipping is going on, my daughter has a fridge that is stacked full of food...although she is excellent at not having any science projects going on in there. Forget what you've learned about the ocean being the cradle of new life forms...it's really my mother's fridge!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Here. Here. Grandma's fridge it a TOTAL MESS!! Didn't know you paid so much attention to my fridge.

Anonymous said...

So your right, all I ever heard from Nate was how when he would stay over night at your house he would starve, because you had no food in the fridge! I believe you though, I have a hard time keeping food in the fridge cause he eats it all!