Saturday, October 26, 2013

Lint Pickers

Technically it's called "social grooming"
Monkeys do it.
Birds do it.
So do us humans.
I noticed that it's generally the "xx" chromosome side of humans that do it most often though.
I was sitting in church and noticed a nice young lady picking hair off of the sweater of the woman sitting in front of her. She was doing it discreetly, so as not to disturb the wearer of the sweater. She wasn't related to this woman in any way. I don't even think they would be considered close friends. It was, simply, a nice, considerate gesture.
I see women do this all the time...tuck in a flipped up clothing tag, pick a piece of lint off of the sleeve of someone they're talking to, pull a loose hair off the shoulder of a shirt. Mothers are especially known for picking, straightening and wiping down their offspring.
Supposedly social grooming builds trust in relationships.
Think of that next time someone says you got a little something in your teeth!

No comments: