I stopped off and got my favorite fizzy beverage this morning and went to take a sip. Nothing! I had "straw failure"! There was a neat little slit on the side of the straw which wouldn't allow a vacuum to form, thus preventing my sugary drink from reaching my mouth. And then I thought...whoever it was that invented straws is a genius! I mean...look at it...it's a simple concept but man, does it make life easier! No heavy lifting of big gulpy drinks! (snark, snark!) But seriously, what would the world be like without straws? No sipping cider! No "two straws one milkshake" romantic scenes in movies! Daughter #2 would cease to exist because she would be straw-less! (sipping through a straw brings her great joy!)
So, this Thanksgiving season, I'm thankful for little conveniences. Sure...I'm thankful for washing machines and dryers (of which I will soon be buying a new one as the "old reliable" is giving up the ghost!) I'm also thankful for dishwashers (although I think ALL parents should spend time washing dishes with their kids! - it's the best place for conversation!) I LOVE my computer and the ease of looking stuff up and buying stuff on-line! I love the fact that there is email, cell phones, Skype, Facetime and cheap air fares, so I can communicate with my kiddies that are spread out around the nation.
But I'm also thankful for the little things. Yes, I'm thankful for straws. I'm also thankful for no-stick pans (I cleaned many a pan full of stuck on eggs in my youth!) I'm grateful that someone, somewhere, cuts carrots down into little bitty bite sized ones and puts them in plastic bags to sell at the store, so I don't have to cut carrot sticks anymore! I truly feel blessed that I can get almost any kind of fresh fruit or vegetable I want at almost any time of the year! Do you realize what a miracle that is? Yes, I may pay an arm and leg for strawberries in January, but I CAN get them! Amazing! I'm grateful for mouse traps...and I'm also grateful that they are cheap so I can throw them away with the dead rodent! I'm grateful for glass windows to let light into my house. I realize that millions of people throughout history didn't have light-filled homes because there was no glass or it was too expensive. Yes...I'm spoiled! I am thankful for books...that they are plentiful and are not unreasonably priced. (I think Herr Gutenberg's printing press was the greatest invention in history!...it opened the way for ordinary people to gain knowledge) I'm thankful that someone invented heaters in cars, lights in refrigerators, ball-point pens, lip balm in a tube, down comforters, sticky notes and fry sauce!
So take a few minutes and look around...be thankful for the little conveniences in your life!
February 5, 2025
1 year ago
No comments:
Post a Comment