skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Germanic Genomes
Curse my Teutonic DNA!
The Deutsche- with their manic obsession with rules and rule-keeping plus their uber-need for organization...they are making my life unbearable!
OK...maybe not "unbearable" but certainly complicated and annoying!
Ya see...somewhere, back in my distant genetic past, there lurks some ancestor from the "Vaterland" (Fatherland for you non-northern European folk). My immediate ancestors...you know, great great great grandparents...came from England. But my maiden name is actually German...so someone, somewhere snuck across the Channel and brought their uber-ness with them!
Because, ya see...my genetic memory is playing havoc with my life. "Zings must be organized"! my brain recites as I fight the impulse to click my heels and salute. "Zay must be orderly... Zee rules are meant for keeping" So when the photos on my computer are out of order...brain explosion! People passing in the right lane on the freeway? Brain Gefahrt! (which really means "to go on a journey" but works here as a snicker-causing word!) Crossing the double white line on the freeway, or returning books to the library late, clothes not organized by color in the closet or...well, I think you get the idea. So my little, slightly crazy Rhineland mind keeps telling me that if only things were all in order...if only everything...socks, books, videos, soap, phone numbers...were organized, my life would be joyous and full of smiling, dancing bunnies. But we all know that life is no "bunny hop"...so see, my genes are in conflict.
Oh...and to make matters even worse...the other side of my family is from Alsace-Lorraine...which is an area between France and Germany that constantly flips to one side or the other...and we all know how "well" the French and the Germans get along don't we? May I just mention a few examples...ummm, World Wars One and Two! So I guess I'm basically sunk...my molecular biology has got me going crazy no matter which way I look...
Ah well...you know what they say...
Es ist nur Kase!...it's only cheese!
No comments:
Post a Comment