Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Promises...DENIED!

Back when I was a kid, we had visions of the future. All of the "people in the know" told us of rocket packs, robots and vacations on the moon. I remember being told that "in the future everyone will be driving hovercrafts and rocket packs instead of cars with robots to do all our work." Sweet!...I thought! Wasn't too sure about the rocket pack...all that hot flame by your feet. And robots?! Well, I'd seen what Good Robots could do...Rosie from the Jetson's, Robot from Lost in Space...even Gort from The Day the Earth Stood Still. Then there was HAL from 2001: A Space Odyssey and other nefarious metal creations. Nope...no robot for me! Ahhh...but a hovercraft...that would be cool! I even had a toy hovercraft that I could get to float above the floor (I blew in a plastic tube to make it float...somehow the idea that there would be miles and miles of plastic tubes for people to blow in in the future never dawned on me!)
So...I was promised a hovercraft in my future. Well, NOW it's my future...and NO HOVERCRAFT! And just to rub it in...there is a travel website that uses a bright blue hovercraft in its commercials!...just to rub it in!
So...somewhere, out there, hovercrafts exist and are being used by nerdy guys in helmets...I've been robbed!

No comments: