Saturday, August 21, 2010

Hands to work, Hearts to God

There is an old Shaker saying that I love...Hands to work, Hearts to God. It pretty much sums up my philosophy...since I'm basically a "chair moving disciple"...you know the Church members who show up and clean the building, arrange the hymn books, set up the chairs...all behind the scenes stuff that no one really notices unless it's not done. Our Stake Relief Society issued a challenge to the Sisters to learn how to knit, crochet and quilt...and then make hats, mittens, scarves, etc. to donate for humanitarian purposes. Ohhh...a goal with concrete results...I'm all over it! So my working hands have been busy the past few months... I LOVE to knit! Crocheting? Well, that's a different matter. I like to crochet with thread (delicate doilies and Christmas snowflakes) but crocheting with yarn feels yucky to me. I know...it really doesn't make sense...but there ya go!
and may I just say here...kudos to whatever ancient cave woman came up with the concept of knitting. "hmmm...let's take the hair off that fleecy animal, stretch it out then take two sticks and wrap it around them, then clickety-clack the sticks together and produce mittens!" Genius!

No comments: