My father passed away on Saturday, but this was really a joyous event. It's something that we have prayed for for many months because of his declining mental capacity. It's hard to feel too sad when someone who thought today was always Sunday and almost 40 years ago can now think and remember. Not too many tears are shed when a man who could only wobble, shuffle and fall in this life, is now busy using his hammer and screwdriver on the pearly gates! Dad has had Alzheimer's/dementia for about 5 years, so we said our goodbyes when he started forgetting who we were. I've told my family that when I die I want my headstone to read "This is just the shell...the 'nut' is gone"! The "nut" that is my Dad is still around us. I have pictures and memories to remind me of my dad's sneaky smile. I have a soft spot in my heart because I know he loves me...still. I have family that carry on his tradition of silent service. And I have personality traits that remind me of him. Perhaps the "nut" is still here...it's just being tended by others.
February 5, 2025
1 year ago
No comments:
Post a Comment